A slave (sometimes called property or servant) is a term used to describe an s-type and much like a Master, is often used a variety of ways. Most often this term is used to refer to the submissive person in a consenting Master/slave relationship, usually defined as a 24/7 TPE relationship that is greatly respected within the local BDSM community.
The word "slave" is gender-independent: slaves can be of any gender and sexual orientation. If gender is to be indicated, use a phrase such as "female slave" or "male slave", or the common compound terms slave-girl or slave-boy. Some male slaves are sissified - i.e., they prefer to be treated and referred to in a traditionally feminine manner, and some regardless of gender, prefer to use alternate pronoun conventions, ask someone if you're not sure what personal pronouns they prefer.
Variable Parameters[edit | edit source]
The term slave may refer to....
- a submissive person in a Master/slave relationship.
- someone in a relationship with an owner who has ultimate authority over them, and from which the slave cannot remove themselves.
- One bound in servitude as the property of a person or household.
- One who is abjectly subservient to a specified person or influence in the context of a role playing fantasy scene or professional session.
- A submissive person who has signed an M/s contract.
- A person who toils and serves without question at the direction of another (slaving).
- A person who wears a collar to denote a relationship status with permanent intention.
- A person who has embraced an identity of internal slavery and has made one choice to give up their power of to another, a Master, and has decided they are happiest living this way.
- A person who has designated themselves to be a slave without meeting other exterior criteria.
Values[edit | edit source]
What makes a good slave/servant will vary inevitably based upon the whims of those they serve, however, many consistently agreed upon best practices values that are desirable in a slave may include but are not limited to: (in no particular order)
- Genuinely moved to service because of the internal happiness it creates within them.
- Honorable behavior in word and deed.
- Enjoys taking direction, being useful and performing a job well done even when tasks are otherwise undesirable.
- Has the ability to grant large amounts of trust to a worthy Master.
- Can clearly and respectfully communicate difficulties, concerns and potential conflicts regarding orders they are given.
- Has a clear understanding and acceptance that the Master is not infallible yet genuinely has hopes the Master is correct.
- Has a high degree of self worth and recognizes both service and Mastery as worthy callings.
Being owned[edit | edit source]
The concept of being owned refers to a person who has surrendered their personal property and freedoms and become the property or chattel of their owner or Master. Strictly speaking, to be a slave, one must be owned but many people searching for an owner will call themselves "slave" as an indication of the position they are hoping to eventually have, or that they have past experience having and embrace such notions as part of their identity.
Internal and External Slavery[edit | edit source]
Slavery, in adult or erotic fiction, is often portrayed as a non-consensual act of forced ownership. This is not only discouraged, but illegal in most societies and bears no reflection on the term as used in the BDSM lifestyle.
External Enslavement is slavery which is made inescapable by physical forces rather than the slave's internal psychological state. Legally or socially enforced slavery is an example of External Enslavement. Most historical slavery took this form.
Internal Enslavement is both a process and a set of practical techniques which use detailed examination of a slave's thoughts, emotions and past experiences to establish and maintain a solid and inescapable state of ownership that is enriched by both the D-type and the s-type. This is achieved through control of the slave's psychological states, in contrast to External Enslavement.
A persistent state of internal enslavement is sometimes referred to as slave mentality.