Some one who is service oriented is said to be a person who gains joy from providing aid to others. Service orientation is not a strictly S-type quality.
Any skill set can be useful for personal growth and increased serviceability, however, the skill sets listed here tend to be commonly valued and associated with service orientation for s-types.
Joshua's Four Rules of Service[edit | edit source]
- If the Master Does not want it, it is not service.
- Contempt has no place in service.
- A bad attitude is corrosive to the servant and the relationship.
- The servant must want the Master to be right.
They go on to state that service motivation is to stem from transactional motivation, devotional motivation, or positional motivation.
Service Oriented tasks generally require a wide range of skills. Fundamental service oriented skills include but are not limited to: (in no particular order)
- The ability to be on time.
- The ability to follow clear instructions under supervision.
- The ability to ask for clarification when instructions are not clear.
- The ability to accept constructive criticism without emotional outbursts.
- The ability to honestly report mistakes, failures and shortcomings.
- The ability to remain silent when instructed to do so.
Types of Service[edit | edit source]
Service is sometimes discussed as "internal service" also called "internal slavery" depending on the context. This type of service indicates that whatever agenda the Master has dictated becomes the agenda of the s-type as much as if they had created the agenda themselves to include appropriate attitude, devotion of resources, and enthusiasm, including when doing so is otherwise inconvenient.
Service forms in M/s dynamics are often discussed on a scale of Anticipatory vs. Obedience or Proactive vs. Reactive service.
Scales of preference for proactive or reactive service will vary between service relationships and even between different tasks and individual circumstances as well as leadership styles.
Service Disciplines[edit | edit source]
Many dominants that one might serve in a D/s or M/s dynamic wish to have a variety of services provided, many of which are listed here. Consider highlighting any of the following skill sets when approaching a prospective Master with a slave petition. Many of these skills can be learned with online research or at a local community college.
- Animal Care/Trainer
- Automotive Maintenance
- Child Care Provider
- Dining Service
- Drink Service
- Escort/Sexual Service
- Financial Adminstration
- Leather Care/Bootblack
- Massage Therapy
- Objectification Service (sexual, ashtray, toilet, foot stool, etc.)
- Personal Assistant/Secretarial
- Physical Trainer
- Pool Maintenance
- Research Assistant